Talking Nutrition with Lance Berkman
Lance Berkman has played 15 years in the Major Leagues with the Houston Astros, New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, and most recently with the Texas Rangers. Some of his accomplishments include:
- Winner of the 2011 World Series with St. Louis.
- Six time All-Star (2001–02, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011)
- Named the NL Comeback Player of the Year in 2011
- 3rd among active players (36th all-time) in on-base percentage (.409)
- 9th among active players (32nd all-time) in slugging percentage (.545)
- 4th among active players (19th all-time) in OPS (.954)
- Led NL in doubles (55) in 2001.
- Led NL in RBI (128) in 2002.
- Holds the National League record for most single season RBIs (136) as a switch hitter.
- Holds the National League record for most single season Home Runs (45) as a switch hitter (tied with Chipper Jones)
In this podcast you will learn:
- Lance’s dietary habits when he first entered the league?
- His highest playing weight vs. where he is today?
- His body transformation and work with trainer Ben Fairchild and how this improved his performance?
- Some the challenges you face nutritionally with a long season and does his weight fluctuate during the season?
- How does he manage to eat healthy when traveling from city to city?
- The types of food available in the clubhouse for players and do some ballparks have healthier options than others?
- Does he get hungry during a game, especially one that may go into extra innings? What type of food does he pack (nutrition bars, nuts, or any type of snack to have if needed)?
- Players he has seen during his career that have terrible eating habits but still go out and go 3 for 4 with 2HR’s and 6 RBI’s?
- Whether he has any superstitions before a game?
- Any strange food superstitions from teammates where they must eat the same thing before a game?
- Any advice to our listeners, especially our young athletes about the importance of nutrition?
- His plans after baseball?
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode
Other Related Resources
- Top 3 Nutritional Essentials to Improve Baseball Performance: Blog Article
- Baseball Nutrition: How to Hit a Homerun: Podcast
- Meal Plan Guide for Athletes: Calculator Your Calorie Needs
- Performance Nutrition for Baseball Players: Course
- Pre-Workout Supplements the Good, Bad and Ugly: Free Webinar
- Sports Nutrition for Major League Baseball Players with Mark Melancon: Podcast