Abbie E. Smith-Ryan, Ph.D., CSCS*D, FISSN is an Assistant Professor at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill in the Department of Exercise and Sport Science. Her research interests center around exercise and nutrition interventions to modify various aspects of body composition, cardiovascular health, and metabolic function. She is an active researcher in the field of sport nutrition and exercise performance, in both young and old athletes. Some of her primary work has focused on high-intensity interval training, beta-alanine, and creatine supplemenation. Dr. Smith-Ryan contributes to the current body of scientific literature through her many peer-reviewed manuscripts, scholastic book chapters, and international/national presentations.
In this podcast you will learn:
- When was Beta-Alanine discovered?
- What is Beta-Alanine and how does it work?
- Would Beta-Alanine be beneficial for an endurance athlete, strength and power athlete, or both?
- Why a large amount of pre-workout products are being formulated with Beta-Alanine and will this trend continue?
- What are the results of her research on Beta-Alanine?
- Recommend dosages for Beta-Alanine?
- How to take Beta-Alanine (Pre-Workout, During The Workout, Post Workout, or at all phases?
- Does combining Beta-Alanine with other supplements like Creatine add an additional benefit?
- What brand of Beta-Alanine consumers should look for when reading a supplement facts panel?
- The safety of Beta-alanine and whether there are any side effects from taking it?
- Safety if used by athletes under the age of 18?
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode
Other Related Resources
- Drug Testing and Supplements in Sports: Podcast
- Unbiased Resource of Nutrition Research
- Athletes and Sports Supplements: Course
- Pre-Workout Supplements the Good, Bad and Ugly: Webinar
- Protein Supplementation and Athletes: Blog Article
- Meal Plan Guide for Athletes: Calculate Calorie Needs
- Dietary Supplement University: Podcast
- Informed Choice Certified: Trusted by Sport: Podcast
- Donald Hooten with the Taylor Hooten Foundation: Podcast
- Are There Benefits to Beta-Alanine? What the Research Says